UFC Fighter Mason Jones (10-1)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Mason “The Dragon” Jones is a fighter in the UFC lightweight division. He is one of three fighters to hold two titles in Cage Warriors. The other two? Dan Hardy and Conor McGregor. Mason is in good company.
After going 7-0, Jones got a shot at the vacant Cage Warriors lightweight title. He faced Joe McColgan at Cage Warriors 113 on March 20, 2020. Jones would finish his opponent in the first round via TKO.
Six months later, Jones would return at Cage Warriors 116 against Adam Proctor in hopes of becoming a champ-champ. “The Dragon” would stop Proctor in the first round and claim the vacant welterweight belt.
Jones would vacate both belts when he was signed by the UFC.
Jones made his UFC debut against Mike Davis at UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs. Magny on Fight Island. Jones would lose the fight via unanimous decision, suffering his first professional loss. The fight was an absolute banger and is a front runner for Fight of the Year. If you haven’t seen it, seek it out ASAP.
Jones makes his second UFC walk against Alan Patrick at UFC Fight Night: Rozenstruik vs. Sakai on June 5, 2021.
When asked what we should expect from his fight, Jones said, “A Mason Jones fight. Fast paced, aggressive & exciting.”
Here is a list of UFC fighter Mason Jones favorite things.
- Favorite food – BBQ food
- Favorite drink – Cold Orange juice
- Favorite color – Black
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Don’t have one
- Favorite knockout – I have so many but, let’s go Jorge Masvidal vs. Ben Askren
- Favorite of your own fights – Joe McColgan for LW strap
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Boxing
- Favorite submission to practice – Triangle
- Favorite athlete – Myself
- Favorite movie – Too many
- Favorite TV show – Changes all the time. Stranger things, at the moment
- Favorite song – currently loving J Cole’s new album, The Off-Season
- Favorite place to travel to – California
- Favorite video game – ever? Man these questions are hard. Pass
- Favorite animal – I got a girl frenchie named Saffy
- Favorite hobby – Considering I have to be good & can’t do anything dangerous or fun… Reading
- Favorite quote – Not completely accurate but “Fastest way to advance is by putting yourself through the greatest amount of adversity.”
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series.