UFC fighter Merab Dvalishvili (12-4)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on planet earth and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Merab “The Machine” Dvalishvili is a fighter in the UFC’s bantamweight division. He is one of the best bantamweight fighters in the world and is leading the way in the Georgian influx in MMA that has been happening over the past few years.
Dvalishvili accumulated a record of 7–2 outside the UFC in terrific promotions such as CFFC, CES, and Ring of Combat. In his last fight before signing with the biggest fight promotion, he would knock out Raufeon Stots in the 15 seconds with a spinning back fist to defend his title.
“The Machine” would make his UFC debut in 2017, however, he would lose his first two fights. The losses were very eyebrow-raising – most media awarded him the split decision in his debut against Frankie Saenz, and in his second fight, he was winning the fight for 14 minutes and then got caught in a guillotine and survived to the bell but then went unconscious, which made the referee call the fight off.
Since those two fights, Dvalishvili has looked unstoppable and a real threat to the title. He is on a five-fight winning streak, with three of those wins coming in 2020. He beat Casey Kenney, Gustavo Lopez and gave John Dodson his walking papers. Because of his dominance, Dvalishvili earned a No. 12 ranking in the completely stacked bantamweight division.
Dvalishvili returns to action for the first time in 2021 against No. 13 ranked bantamweight Cody Stamann at UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Procházka on May 1.
Here is list of UFC fighter Merab Dvalishvili’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Khachapuri. It’s Bread and Cheese – looks like pizza
- Favorite drink – Water
- Favorite color – Blue
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez
- Favorite knockout – Matt Serra vs. GSP
- Favorite of your own fights – My professional debut is my favorite fight
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Gymnastic
- Favorite submission to practice – Chokes
- Favorite athlete – Ilias Iliadis – Olympican and World Champion in Judo
- Favorite movie – Gladiator
- Favorite TV show – Comedy shows at night
- Favorite song – Beat It by Michael Jackson
- Favorite place to travel to- Georgia
- Favorite video game – I don’t play video games
- Favorite animal – Horse
- Favorite hobby – Running outside at new places
- Favorite quote – “Never say never
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series!