UFC fighter Montserrat Ruiz (9-1)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on planet earth, and have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Montserrat “Conejo” Ruiz is a UFC fighter in the women’s strawweight division. Before signing to the UFC, she was the No. 1 ranked Mexican fighter outside of the UFC, according to Tapology.com.
Ruiz gathered an undefeated 8-0 record on the regional scene before signing with Invicta FC in 2018. She would unfortunately lose her debut with the promotion and be sidelined with an injury.
“Conejo” would return last year in 2020, after a year and a half layoff. She would headline her first Invicta event against Janaisa Morandin. In the first round of their fight, Ruiz would submit Morandin with a scarf hold keylock. Absolutely beautiful.
Ruiz was scheduled to fight Emily Ducote for the vacant Invicta FC strawweight title in November, but the title fight was called off due to COVID-19 protocols the day before the event.
Ruiz got a call from the UFC and will return to action on a week’s notice against Cheyanne Buys, replacing Kay Hansen.
Here is a list of UFC fighter Montserrat Ruiz’s favorite things.
- Favorite Food -Tacos
- Favorite drink – Horchata
- Favorite color – Black
- Favorite knockout – Juan Manuel Marquez vs Manny Pacquiao IV
- Favorite of your own fights – My fight against Janaisa Morandin
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Jiujitsu
- Favorite submission to practice – Armbar
- Favorite athlete – Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Favorite Movie – Childs play
- Favorite TV Show – El Marginal
- Favorite song – Tus padres No Me Quieren
- Favorite band or musician – Cartel de Santa
- Favorite place to travel – Mexico
- Favorite video game- Silent Hill
- Favorite animal – Dog
- Favorite holiday – Dia De Muertos (Halloween)
- Favorite hobby – Hanging out with my boyfriend
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series.