UFC fighter Matthew Semelsberger (8-2)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Matthew “Semi the Jedi” Semelsberger is a fighter in the welterweight division. There have a handful of college football players that have successfully crossed over to MMA, and Semelsberger is one of them. He is a freak athlete.
Semelsberger made his professional debut in 2017, and three years later, he would be in the UFC. He fought once in 2020 before jumping to the biggest fight promotion – knocking out Richard Patishnock in the first round in February.
The ex-football player made his UFC debut against Carlton Minus last August at UFC Fight Night: Munhoz vs. Edgar. He would win via a unanimous decision.
Semelsberger returned to action at UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad in an emphatic fashion. He only needed 16 seconds to knock out Jason Witt in the first fight of the evening. “Semi the Jedi” was award ‘Performance of the Night” for his brutal KO.
Here is a list of UFC fighter Matthew Semelsberger’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Pizza
- Favorite drink – Blue Powerade
- Favorite color – Light Blue
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje
- Favorite knockout – Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story
- Favorite of your own fights – My UFC debut against Carlton Minus
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Football and hockey
- Favorite submission to practice – Triangle chokes
- Favorite athlete – Sean Taylor
- Favorite movie – Fight Night Lights and The Mask
- Favorite TV show – Planet Earth and South Park
- Favorite song – Upgrade by Logic, Enter Sandman by Metallica, What’s up Danger by Blackway & Black Caviar, and This Plane by Wiz Khalifa
- Favorite band or musician – A Day To Remember
- Favorite videogame – Rocket League
- Favorite place to travel to – Cunningham Falls or Sugarloaf – both mountains in Maryland
- Favorite animal – Lions and sharks
- Favorite holiday – Halloween
- Favorite hobby – Playing Dungeons & Dragons and video games
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series.