UFC fighter Drew Dober (23-9)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Drew Dober is a UFC fighter in the lightweight division and has been a top fighter for several years. He currently on a three-fight win streak with three knockouts, something he does very often.
Dober has only been to the judge’s scorecards seven times in his 23 wins. The rest have been knockouts and submissions. The Nebraska turned Colorado fighter finishes fights.
Since January 2016, Dober has only lost two times, and one of those was to current No. 9 ranked lightweight Beneil Dariush. In June of 2019, he started his knockout streak with a finish of Polo Reyes. He followed that up with a knockout of Nasrat Haqparast at UFC 246 last January. He was awarded a Performance of the Night bonus.
Dober’s most recent win was against Alexander Hernandez at UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Teixeira last May. He earned another Performance of the Night bonus when he finished Hernandez in round two.
Dober returns for the first time in 2021 against Islam Makhachev at UFC 259. They were scheduled to fight in 2016 but the fight was canceled after weigh-ins due to a failed USADA test by Makhachev. A win over Makhachev will put Dober back in the top 15 rankings and will continue his push towards the title.
When asked what we should expect from his fight, Dober said, “The best Drew Dober to date.”
Here is a list of UFC fighter Drew Dober’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Cheeseburgers or anything at a diner
- Favorite drink – Coffee or wine
- Favorite color – Red
- Favorite all-time fight to watch– I watch and rewatch fights all the time. There isn’t just one favorite
- Favorite knockout – Jorge Masvidal vs. Ben Askren
- Favorite of your own fights – My first round KOs. Easy, simple, and my body enjoys it
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – none haha
- Favorite submission to practice – The rolling lumberjack shag swing
- Favorite athlete – I was a huge fan of Cro Cop
- Favorite movie – Matrix or Fight Club
- Favorite TV show – South Park
- Favorite song – This Is How We Do It by Montell Jordan
- Favorite band or musician – Usher
- Favorite place to travel to – Europe
- Favorite video game- Skyrim, Witcher, or Mass Effect
- Favorite animal – Can’t pick just one
- Favorite holiday- Christmas
- Favorite hobby – Video games
- Favorite quote – “Life is like the harp string if it is strung too tight it won’t play, if it is too loose it hangs, the tension that produces the beautiful sound lies in the middle.”
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series.