UFC fighter Sabina Mazo (9-1)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Sabina “Colombian Queen” Mazo is one of the brightest young prospects in MMA today. At 23 years old, she has the potential to be a future champion.
“The Colombian Queen” owns two of the best head kick knockouts you will ever see. She knocked out Jamie Thorton at LFA 9 on April 14, 2017, and then returned five months later with Linsey Williams’s knockout.
Mazo is on a three-fight win streak since her last loss in her UFC debut in 2019. She fought twice last year. She kicked off the year with a decision win against JJ Aldrich in January at UFC 246. In her most recent win, she got her finish in UFC by submitting Justine Kish via rear-nake choke at UFC Fight Night: Waterson vs. Hill in September.
Mazo returns to action at UFC Fight Night: Rozenstruik vs. Gane against her biggest test to date, Alexis Davis. A win over a tough MMA veteran like Davis will really announce Mazo as a contender.
When asked what we should expect from her fight, Mazo said, “A high-level technic war.”
Here is a list of UFC fighter Sabina Mazo’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Mediterranean food
- Favorite drink – Sparkling water
- Favorite color – Black
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Don’t have a favorite
- Favorite knockout – Knee to the face knockouts
- Favorite of your own fights – My fight against Jamie Thorton
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Kickboxing
- Favorite submission to practice – Rear-naked choke
- Favorite movie – Girl, Interrupted
- Favorite TV show – How I Met Your Mother
- Favorite song – To Zion by Lauryn Hill
- Favorite band or musician – Lauryn Hill
- Favorite place to travel to – Any beach
- Favorite video game – I don’t play video games
- Favorite animal – Dogs
- Favorite holiday – Christmas
- Favorite hobby – Painting
- Favorite quote – “Without sacrifice, there is no victory.”
You can follow UFC fighter Sabina Mazo on Instagram.
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series!