UFC fighter Jared Gordon (16-4)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter, while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Jared “Flash” Gordon is a fighter in the UFC featherweight division.
At this point, I usually run down the fighter’s stats and knockouts. However, Gordon is a fighter that hits me on a different level. Gordon is a recovering drug addict, and so am I. Whenever I can spotlight someone who has gone through the depths of addiction, trudged through the mud, walked through hell, and got out on the other side- I will. Not only is he an amazing professional athlete that fights inside of a cage, but he also fought and beat addiction. Bravo, Flash.
Okay, okay, okay. Back to MMA.
Gordon is coming off a huge win with all odds seemingly against him. Gordon had a rough weight cut because of a false-positive COVID test, and he had no corner because his coach and teammates at Sanford MMA all tested positive. “Flash” made weight while his opponent missed, and he got his old training partner, friend, and fellow UFC fighter Paul Felder to corner him. (Felder was on commentary and had to leave to corner him.)
He defeated Chris Fishgold at UFC on ESPN: Kattar vs. Ige last July on ‘Fight Island’ via a unanimous decision.
Gordon returns to action at UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Lewis on Feb. 20, 2021, against Danny Chavez.
When asked what we should expect from his fight Gordon said, “A ground and pound finish.”
Here is a list of UFC fighter Jared Gordon’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Pizza
- Favorite drink – Sprite
- Favorite color – Blue
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Gray Maynard vs. Frankie Edgar I
- Favorite knockout – Tommy Hearns knockout of Roberto Duran
- Favorite of your own fights – UFC debut against Michel Quiñones
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Boxing
- Favorite submission to practice – Kimura
- Favorite athlete – Christiana Gambino
- Favorite movie – Casino
- Favorite TV show – The Sopranos
- Favorite song – Lateralus by Tool
- Favorite band or musician – Tool
- Favorite place to travel to – Belize
- Favorite video game – Doctor Mario
- Favorite animal – Manatee
- Favorite holiday – Christmas
- Favorite hobby – Snowboarding
- Favorite quote – “You can make a hand turkey!” “For Christmas? Fuckin’ idiot!”
Check out the rest of my Humanizing Athletes series.