UFC Fighter Brandon Royval (12-5)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on planet earth and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Brandon “Raw Dawg” Royval is one of the best flyweights in the world and has quickly become a fan favorite. He is currently ranked No. 6 in the UFC flyweight division.
Royval holds a 90% finish rate, with eight of his wins coming by submission. Don’t let that fool you, though, as he can knockout out his opponents as well. For example, in 2016, Royval knocked out Danny Mainus with a knee in round one at World Series of Fighting 29.
Royval is also a former LFA flyweight champion. He spectacularly won the title by submitting Nate Williams in 23 seconds via armbar in 2019 at LFA 79.
“Raw Dawg” vacated the LFA title when he got the call to fight at UFC on ESPN 9 – Woodley vs. Burns. Oh, and his first UFC opponent was a former title challenger, Tim Elliot. That is a tough first fight for anyone. However, Royval passed the test by submitting him in the second round via arm-triangle choke.
Royval’s second fight in the UFC on Sept. 26, 2020, at UFC 253 against then, No. 7 ranked flyweight Kai Kara France was incredible for as long as it lasted. They won Fight of the Night, and Royval submitted Kara France in the second round via guillotine choke.
Two months after defeating Kara France, “Raw Dog” got back to action in a No. 1 contender fight against Brandon Moreno at UFC 255. Unfortunately, his shoulder popped out, and he lost the fight via TKO when Moreno pounced on him.
Royval returns to action against No. 3 Alexandre Pantoja at UFC on ESPN: Cannonier vs. Gastelum on August 21, 2021. The winner of this fight could realistically be next for Brandon Moreno-both have Pantoja and Royval have a history with him.
Here is a list of UFC fighter Brandon Royval’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Mexican
- Favorite drink – Gatorade
- Favorite color – Red
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Favorite knockout – Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben
- Favorite of your own fights – My fight for the LFA belt against Nate Williams
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Boxing and Hockey
- Favorite submission to practice – Triangle choke
- Favorite athlete – Nick Diaz and Anderson silva
- Favorite movie – Warriors
- Favorite TV show – South Park
- Favorite song – Tiny Dancer by Elton John
- Favorite band or musician – Metallica
- Favorite place to travel to – To the mountains
- Favorite video game – Call of Duty
- Favorite animal – Monkeys
- Favorite holiday- Halloween
- Favorite hobby – Going to Comedy shows and Volleyball
Check out the rest of my Humanizing series.