UFC Fighter Darren Stewart (12-6-1)
MMA fighters are savages. They are the best athletes on the planet earth, and — as human beings — have an extraordinarily wide-ranging set of interests. Who are they as people? What makes them tick? What does each athlete have in common with the fans that cheer them on? This series fills in those blanks and gets to the heart of the matter while exploring what makes your favorite fighters who they are.
Darren “The Dentist” Stewart is a UFC fighter in the middleweight division and he is one of the best English fighters in the UFC. Stewart is always a tough matchup for anyone.
Stewart has won three of his last five under the UFC banner, with those wins coming over Maki Pitolo, Bevon Lewis, and Deron Winn. He was the first person to defeat Winn and take away his undefeated record.
2020 was a strange year for “The Dentist.” He was scheduled to face Marvin Vettori, who is now ranked No. 5 in the middleweight division, on 21 March 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Edwards. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the fight was canceled. The fight was moved to Cage Warriors 113 on March 20 against a different opponent. Stewart fought in the main event against Bartosz Fabiński. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Stewart would rebound from his loss five months later as he defeated Maki Pitolo via guillotine choke at UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Oleinik on August 8.
After his win over Pitolo, Stewart would get right back to action a month later against Kevin Holland. He would lose a very close split decision. Holland would even go on to say in his post-fight interview that he thought Stewart won.
“The Dentist” will get back to action for the first time in 2021 against Eryk Anders at UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad. A win over Anders will get him closer to the top 15.
Here is a list of UFC Fighter Darren Stewart’s favorite things.
- Favorite food – Chicken
- Favorite drink – Mango juice
- Favorite color – Red
- Favorite all-time fight to watch – Joanna Jędrzejczyk vs. Weili Zhang
- Favorite knockout – Jorge Masvidal vs. Ben Askren
- Favorite of your own fights – My fight against Eric Spicely
- Favorite sport to watch other than MMA – Football
- Favorite submission to practice – Arm Triangle
- Favorite athlete – Muhammad Ali
- Favorite movie – John Wick
- Favorite TV show – EastEnders
- Favorite song – Any reggae/dancehall genre
- Favorite band or musician – Vybz Kartel
- Favorite place to travel to – Brazil
- Favorite animal – Silverback Gorilla
- Favorite hobby – Dancing
Check out the rest of my Humanizing series.